Change the color of an image in PowerPoint

We just had a nice lady from the UK ask about changing the color of an image.  For example, she wanted to change to color of this superhero’s cape to match different departments for her presentation.

Clipart: Super Hero with red cape

Image: Super Hero with a Red Cape

If you are using PowerPoint 2007 or newer, you can easily recolor the image to any of your theme’s colors.  This is a great way to make the graphics in your Presentation look custom made and professional.

1. Open up PowerPoint and insert an image into your presentation.

2. Click on top of the image and select “Format Picture”

PowerPoint Format Picture

Step 2: Choose Format Picture

3. Choose the Pictue Color Option and then choose Recolor.

PowerPoint Recolor Image

Step 3: Choose Picture Color Options

In PowerPoint 2010, you will get a nice display of what the image will look like with each option.  With PowerPoint 2007, you are given a simple color picker so there is a bit more trial and error involved.

That’s all there is to it.  Have fun recoloring images!

Here is a sample of the Superhero in a couple of different colors.

Recolored images in PowerPoint

Final Result - Recolored Images in PowerPoint

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Change the color of an image in PowerPoint”

1. AJITHA AMARNATH says:

Hi, Thank You so much..This is just what I came searching for !

Cheers
    Ajitha Amarnath

2. adejare says:

i love this

3. Thanish says:

Hi, Wonderful Tip. Is it possible to change the color of my interest(like custom color)

• krjones says:

You may change the color of an image by using our customizer or PowerPoint itself, and you may use the RGB value or the # hue code to select a specific color.

4. arpit says:

thanks a lot nice trick…:)

5. Audrey says:

helped a lot, thanks :)

6. Beth says:

Is it possible to change the accent color? I am able to change the background color to any color in the “crayon box” but the accent colors seem to be limited to the preselected colors. Thanks for your help!

7. vivian says:

When I go to format picture – and recolor – it changes the background of the photo / graphic but not the graphic – what am I doing wrong? I have 2007

Vivian:
      Thank you for your question, it is really dependent on what the item was that you downloaded, if it was an image with a solid background color, then even the background color will change when formatting the picture in PowerPoint. We recommend changing the color on our customizer and then downloading once the customization is complete.

8. Helle says:

I want to change the color of several items, but I am not satisfied with my PowerPoint options. I used to change the color using the tint and customize function but for some reason I can’t see the item that I want to change. I only get a shadow, so I can’t see what I’m doing and end up with tons of failed attempts. How do I get to see the item that I want to customize so that I know when I am satisfied and can press customize?