How to Save a PowerPoint Presentation as a Video

Alright, so I am apologizing in advance for the length of this post, but felt that the extra information could come in handy.  Today I will be looking at the various methods of saving out a PowerPoint presentation as a video, specifically a video that has both audio AND visual cues and information.  Let’s begin.

You’ve created a beautiful presentation to post up on your blog, website, e-Learning, you name it, but have no idea how to get it there.  You save it as a PPTX (PowerPoint Presentation) file…but not all of your students have PowerPoint, so how can they view it?  You want it to loop continuously as well, so you can have it playing on your kiosk at the convention you are going to this weekend, and don’t have to keep clicking “Play”.  What are you to do?Here are some of your options, in order of most straight forward and basic, to most complex.  I will be going over the concept of Screen Capture and Saving Presentations in a later tutorial

#1 – No Audio, PowerPoint 2010

In PowerPoint 2010, “Save As” a WMV file.  Here are some things to consider:

• If your presentation has absolutely no animations, audio or transitions, each slide will play for 5 seconds.

• If your presentation has an animated first slide (Video Background.), the first slide will be the length of the video in its entirety (example below has a 13 second video), the subsequent slides are again, 5 seconds in length.

• If your presentation has more than one animated slide, or has more than one animation on a slide, it will play the length of all animations and videos, and then move on.  I will warn you in advance, this looks extremely choppy when it actually plays.

#2 – With Audio, PowerPoint 2010

• First, we will use the “Record Audio” feature in PowerPoint, and record 3 slides.   This is the same as adding an audio file to each individual slide, as you are creating the slide.  Click “Insert”>”Audio”>”Record Audio” to start the recording process.  Here is an example of three slides with varying lengths of audio recording.

• Next, we will use the “Record Slide Show” option in PowerPoint.  This option basically allows you to record your presentation, with your narration, and transition the slides however you like, negating the issue of transition timings.  This is very handy if you want an audio file to start on each slide at a specific moment in time.  I will caution however that the timing is always running.  Meaning that if you move to slide two and now need a moment to figure out what you will say, when you save the presentation, slide two will have a definitive gap before hearing audio.

• Our final option of recording from within PowerPoint is two-fold.  This is where it becomes a bit more complicated, but feels more seamless.   Set up your slide show to display ”Browsed by an Individual (Window)”, and then go to All Programs> Accessories> Sound Recorder.  Get your presentation ready to go, and instead of “Record Slide Show”with Narration, go ahead and get rid of that option by unclicking the checkbox.  Your presentation will now save only the timing between each slide.  Click “Record” on the sound recorder, and record your presentation.  I’m actually going to do a screen capture of me doing this, so it hopefully (in theory) makes more sense.

Here’s the completed video:

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “How to Save a PowerPoint Presentation as a Video”

1. Thank you for the post. I’ve been exploring different media and formats and after a lot of trial and error I’ve uploaded a few video presentations to my business site. I’m just wondering; how do I render/prepare (etc) a presentation to a mac? iMovie is still a challenge for me, but I’m sure I’ll work it out.

• krjones says:

Gayle:

Depending on your site, Techsmith offers Jing (free) and Camtasia ($99) which would both work to video capture your screen. Jing has a limit of 5 minutes, and will only save a SWF (flash) file, whereas Camtasia saves it out as a .mpeg4 I believe, which is more widely available. If your site supports Flash, then Jing would work just fine. Also, if you’re using Mac’s version of PowerPoint 2011 you should be able to save as a MOV straight from the presentation, as mentioned in the tutorial (albeit the tutorial is geared towards PC).

Let me know if you need any other assistance.

-Kara Jones

• Elaina says:

Where are you getting Camtasia for $99? Even the academic authorized software is $179.

Elaina:

The Mac version of Camtasia is $99, which we use for recording all of our Mac Presentations as video files. The PC Version of Camtasia is $299.00.
          You are able to download a free trial version for 30 days for either PC or Mac here . This would work well for someone who has a single project and does not know if they want to invest in the full price of Camtasia right away.

2. Love your work. This is a great tutorial and helps overcome the problem of audio not transitioning in PowerPoint. Thanks – Kurt

3. This is great to know! I love the blog!

I have been using presenter media and PowerPoint for a while now and I have created a few videos using both! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB8aNQHRdfg

You have been a great help, many thanks,

Nick

4. Paul says:

Awesome, and thanks for your time and effort. I needed this piece of info.

5. chadi says:

Very great tutorial.. thanks, i have a question that i can’t find an answer in the net, even in the site of microsoft..
    i embeded swf file into powerpoint 2010 , working nice within my pc.. but when i save/publish the files into video , i lost my swf files.. i only get an image of swf as picture , the animation of swf is no longer there when saved as video within powerpoint..

do you have any ides what is the problem.. thanks.

Chadi:

More than likely the problem is that the video encoder in PowerPoint cannot properly “read” a flash video. You could try a screen capture program like Camtasia to record the presentation as it is playing normally to see if you get the video that way.

6. It’s helpful for me this articles and videos.. thanks

7. deepthi says:

I have a mac.office 2011. I need to convert a presentation with animated titles, youtube videos, background score, for almost 100 photos and end rolling credits (in a different language) into a movie that can be burned into a dvd-just like a movie-life of a person.please reply vme asap as I need to finish the job soon.
    Thanks
    Deepthi

8. nancy says:

Hi:

Thank you so much for the tutorial, very helpful…. I need to make my video to loop continuously. Sorry I’m not sure if I missed it but I can’t find how to do that in this tutorial.

Thanks in advance
    nancy

9. Suzy says:

Hi,

Thanks very much for the tutorial – really helpful. However, I have a problem I’m hoping you can help with….

When I play my presentation in PowerPoint the sound works fine, but when I save as a .wmv file the sound doesn’t work for the voiceover part (first section), yet does work in the embedded video part (second section). Do you know why this might be and how I get the sound to work throughout once it’s in video format?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Suzy