Copy Slides from PowerPoint Templates

One of the common questions we receive is how do I use one slide from one of our templates in another presentation or a different PowerPoint template.  It is easy to copy slides between presentations.  I’ll use a couple of our PowerPoint templates as examples in this tutorial.

I’m going to use PowerPoint 2007 for this tutorial but the process is the same for PowerPoint 2010.

Step 1

Open up the presentation you are making and the template you want to copy a slide from.

Step 2

In the template, right click on the slide in the slides tab or in the slide sorter view you wish to copy and choose copy from the menu.  See illustration below.

PowerPoint 2007 - Copy Slide

How to copy a slide in PowerPoint

Step 3

Paste your slide you just copied in the presentation you are working on.  Right click in the slides tab or the slide sorter view at the place you wish to insert (paste) the slide.

PowerPoint 2007 Paste a slide in a new presentation

How to Paste a slide from another presentation

Step 4

Click the “Paste Options” icon which appear beneath the slide you just pasted.  By default the slide is formatted according to the settings of your current presentation.  In order for the slide to retain the look of the slide from the template you copied from, you need to tell PowerPoint to use the formatting from the slides source.

In the Paste Options you can choose “Keep Source Formatting”.  This retains the format from the template you copied from.

PowerPoint 2007 - Keep Source Formatting

Click Keep Source Formatting in the Paste Options

Nice and simple right?  Go ahead and start putting together your favorite slides from all of our templates.

Good Presenting!

You can download our templates for PowerPoint here.

Tags: ,

14 Responses to “Copy Slides from PowerPoint Templates”

1. Susan says:

When I right-click and select “Paste”, the “Paste Options” button does not appear.

@Susan, After performing the paste, the options icon appears at the lower right corner of the slide you just added to your presentation. You may need to ‘Select’ the slide first to see the icon. Also the icon will disappear if you do other things in your presentation. So make sure you set the appropriate paste option immediately after the paste.

I hope this helps,

2. Monika says:

When I copy the slide and keep source formatting and strat the presentation, the slide is no more animated? What do I have to do?

@Monika, You didn’t mention which version of PowerPoint you are using. It is possible that you copied a static slide instead of one of the animated slides? There are both types of slides in the templates.

If you are using an old version of PowerPoint, like PowerPoint 2003, you will also need to move the video animation files to the same folder your presentation is saved in. In the PowerPoint 2003 templates, the video animation files are linked files. This does not affect 2007 or newer versions of PowerPoint.

If you let me know what version of PowerPoint and what template you were trying to combine, I can try to be of more assistance. Also, here is a video tutorial that may also help you.

3. Monika says:

Thank you for your reply. I choose “ready to launge” and I have ppt 2007. It moves on the homepage but as soon as I safe it, it does not move again. Even in presentation mode. Thank you for your help. Monika

Hi Monika, Let’s make sure you have all the updates and patches installed from Microsoft for PowerPoint 2007. It sounds like you are missing the Office 2007 Service Pack 2. Run Windows Update on your computer and install any Office 2007 updates it finds. Restart your computer after you have installed any updates.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

4. Le Pham says:

thank you very much, it is useful for me.

5. lina says:

Hi! I’d like to thank you for great ideas you present here and also for the experiences , they’re useful for me.

6. Patricia says:

I have the same issue as Susan (up top), when i paste a slide from presentation to another and then perform the paste options it attempts to transfer and then it doesn’t do it?

Help please, I need this done today.

7. David says:

Art,
    How do I bring as bunch of slides from Presentation A over to Presentation B when a lot of the A slides are Excel objects BUT I don’t want them all recalculated – in fact I wqant them all as pictures?
    Thanks
    David

Hi David, That’s a good question. Have you tried taking a screenshot? PowerPoint 2010 has a really cool ‘Insert/Screenshot’ that will allow you to take a picture from another presentation or other window open on your computer and insert it on your current slide.

Hope it helps.

8. martyn says:

how do I copy an animated template into my corporate template while keeping the animation and keeping my template currently I loose the animation or I cannot have my template