Combine Slides from Multiple PowerPoint Templates

We’ve had questions about the possibility of combining several of our templates into one presentation.  Essentially, how do you mix and match slides from different animated templates?

It’s actually very easy to do if you are using PowerPoint 2007 or newer.  I’ve put together a video tutorial about how to use the “Reuse Slides” function in PowerPoint 2010 and PowerPoint 2007 to combine slides from various templates.

Click Play to watch Video Tutorial

Note For Combining Several Animated Templates Together.

Remember that the more animated templates you combine the larger your presentation will become.  A number of video files will make your presentation quite bulky.  This could be a problem if you are distributing the completed presentation.

Please leave a comment if you find this tutorial helpful or have any questions.

You can download the templates used in this video here.

Mac PowerPoint 2008 and 2011 instructions.

In Mac PowerPoint, inserting slides from other presentations or templates work pretty much the same way but the command is labeled differently.  The function is located under the “Insert” menu.  Look for Insert/Slides From/Other Presentations.  See screen shot below:

Insert slide from other presentation Mac PowerPoint

Insert Slides from other presentations in Mac PowerPoint 2008 and 2011

In the slide finder, be sure to check “Keep Design of Original Slide” to retain the formatting, animations and other graphic elements.  Otherwise PowerPoint will only copy the text and not slides design.

Insert Slides from other Presentations

Check Keep Design of Original Slides

Tags: , , , , , ,

94 Responses to “Combine Slides from Multiple PowerPoint Templates”

1. George says:

I tried to format all of my pictures perfectly to the slide they were on, but each of the pictures are different sizes. So when I format the slide, it applies the change to all of the slides, not just the specific one. I was forced to create several different presentations and format each slide to the particular picture. However, when merging them, they just snap to the slide size of the presentation I am copying to. I have tried the “Reuse Slide” feature and copying and pasting, but the slide sizes still change, even when I mark the “Keep Source Formatting”. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

• Mike Weber says:

PowerPoint does not let you use multiple sizes of slides within the same presentation, it’d be better to have a link in a presentation that sends you out to another presentation’s show (pps) file.
      You can store formatting such as colors/image formats, but cannot store slide sizes and then merge them without adjusting one way or the other

2. aysha says:

thank you i was searching for combing 2 different power point in one for Mac version.

• Mike Weber says:

Hello Aysha, there is information at the end of the tutorial for Mac users on how to combine slides from two or more Power Points.

3. Scott says:

Is there a way to do this with hundreds of pptx files all at once, and keep the source formatting?

4. Elizabeth says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial,
    I have used this so many times for PowerPoint’s for Uni and other presentations. My children also use this for their assignments. It is such a great way to engage your audience and keep them focused. Thanks again for a GREAT program to use. So helpful!

5. Carlton Witmore says:

I have office 2013 and am trying to combine slides from PowerPoint and presenter media. My insert tab doesn’t look like the one on your website. It has new slide only. I am still searching how to do this but could use some help.

• Mike Weber says:

Carlton are you selecting the Insert tab that is next to the Home tab? If you see insert new slide you would be in the Home tab.

6. Ron Modica says:

Hi Mike,

I would like to know how to add “page numbers” to a presentation containing multiple files from multiple people that don’t all use the same “settings” for things?

Is that possible? And if so can you tell me it’s done?

Thanks Mike,
    Ron

• Mike Weber says:

Add a Footnote, date, page numbers:
      Select the slide that you want to add the footnote to.
      On the Insert menu, click Text Box.
      Add a Footnote to all slides:
      On the View menu, point to Master, and then click Slide Master. On the Insert menu, click Text Box. (Or, you can use the existing footer text box for the footnote.) Click the slide where you want to add the footnote, type or paste your text, and then format the text as needed.

7. Mary Snyder says:

How do I view the tutorial for combining slides?
    Thx